Marriage License Requirements
Both parties must be present when applying for a marriage license and each must present one of the following forms of identification:
- Driver's license issued in the United States;
- Federal or state identification card; or
- Passport showing your name and date of birth (birth certificates or green cards are not accepted).
If either person was married before, the manner in which the last marriage ended and the exact date the marriage ended are needed. Copies of the death certificate, final decree of divorce, annulment or blood test are not required. You do not have to be a resident of Florida to apply.
Both parties must read the Family Law Handbook (available below) prior to obtaining a marriage license.
Requirements for Minors 16 to 17 years old (one or both applicants)
All of the following are required:
- One of the forms of identification listed above;
- Minor's birth certificate showing parent's name; and
- A parental consent form may be obtained at the time of the application. Both parents must be present with their own identification on hand. The exception will be if the parents are divorced and one parent has full custody of the minor. In this case, proof of custody must be presented and only the consent of the custodial parent will be required in writing.
Requirements for Minors Under 16 (one or both applicants)
- All the requirements listed above for 16 to 17-year-olds;
- Under oath, swear that they are the parents or expected parents of a child;
- Provide proof in the form of the child’s birth certificate or written statement from a licensed physician verifying pregnancy; and
- May require judicial review.
A previously married minor may apply without the need for parental consent.
Waiting Period & Discounted License
The mandatory three-day waiting period for Florida residents may be waived if the couple attends a premarital course from a registered provider and presents a certificate of completion when applying for a license. There is no waiting period for non-Florida residents.
Additionally, both residents and non-residents of Florida may receive a $32.50 discount on their marriage license by completing a premarital course. Both parties must attend the course and, once again, a certificate of completion must be presented at the time of application to be eligible for the discount.
|Main Courthouse, Room 3.2300
205 N. Dixie Hwy.
West Palm Beach, FL 33401
Telephone: (561) 355-2986
|North County Courthouse
3188 PGA Blvd., Room 1202
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
Telephone: (561) 624-6650
South County Courthouse
200 W. Atlantic Ave.
Delray Beach, FL 33444
Telephone: (561) 274-1588
West County Courthouse
38844 SR 80
Belle Glade, FL 33430
West County Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 207
West Palm Beach, FL 33402
Telephone: (561) 996-4843